Monday, January 27, 2014

Caché (2005)

Jacob and I watched Caché earlier this evening.  This is a film I'll need to see again.  I'm pretty sure I saw everything I was supposed to see.  But I don't think I'm realizing the meaning of what I saw.  It's a puzzle.

There are spoilers below the cut.

Caché is basically about some French guy with a past that comes back to haunt him.  Someone is tormenting this guy with his childhood sin.  But, the questions are who is doing it and why.  And those questions aren't explicitly answered.  And you know, I'm cool with that.  Even without really getting what Caché is all about, I'm satisfied with the ambiguouis ending.  It is what it is.  At the very least this poor guy and his wife seem to have reconciled by the end of the film, which I was glad to see.

Caché stars Juliette Binoche, so it has to be a beautiful film.  I love the look of Caché.  It is filmed very digital, crisp and clear.  I love the look of France in the movie, the clean and modern locales that Georges and Anne inhabit to the not so clean and modern apartment bloc that Majid and his son inhabit.  I love the clothes that Juliette's character wears.  No pants, just dresses and skirts.  Very housewifey, but still sleek and modern.

The characters and their players are what really sells Caché for me. Daniel Auteuil is brilliant as Georges Laurent, especially when Georges is believably clueless around his wife.  As mentioned, Juliette is a beautiful woman and she is very cute when she gets worked up.  She played Anne, Georges's wife.  Very real, very accessible as a wife and mother.  Also impressive was Lester Makedonsky as Pierrot Laurent, Georges and Anne's 12 years old son.  I love when he turns the cold shoulder to Mom and then is nice and kind of sympathetic to Dad after a secret is revealed to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment