Saturday, September 8, 2018

Zodiac (2007)

21 November 2014

Friends, I reviewed "Zodiac" after the first time I saw it four years ago. Even then, I was itching to see the film again. Jacob and I have had "Zodiac" on Blu-ray for awhile and has given us a reason to sit down and it watch it together. So, after four years of expectations and with a better appreciation for films, I give you my 2014 review of "Zodiac".

The Good

"Zodiac" clocks in at 2:40 or so. I knew the film was long, but it doen't feel long at all. The film flows really well. Even the middle, which dragged a little on the first viewing, moved right along the second time. I could have watched more.

I am even more impressed with the Graysmith character and Jake Gyllenhaal's performance. I've read that it wasn't clear enough why Graysmith was willing to put his family, his life, and his career in jeopardy for his quest to ID Zodiac. But to me, it doesn't need to be explained. It's a guy thing, the compulsion to see things through. And as I said before, Jake is perfectly cast for the offbeat role of Graysmith. He makes Graysmith bookish and a little eccentric. But Graysmith remains a man. He's not afraid to approach Toschi. He goes out on a date with a hottie. He has a natural reaction when his wife has taken the kids to mom's.

Oh yes, I will agree with what I've read in the last couple of days. On Blu-ray, "Zodiac" is visually magnificent.

The Bad

Not really bad, since "Zodiac" is a masterpiece. But I will say that I think the Paul Avery character is more style than substance (which is glossed over by Robert Downey Jr.'s masterful performance). The film seems to make the point that Paul goes off the deep end after he receives a threat from Zodiac. I assume this is purposefully in contrast to Toschi's professionism and Graysmith's doggedness. But I would have liked more about what was going on with Paul. What's his story?

The Ugly

In my first review, the film's weak link was the cinematography. I was so wrong about that. Four years later, I'm racking my brain for something. Maybe not enough Chloe Sevigny?

Recommended

No comments:

Post a Comment